PS 87 Day is Tomorrow!
A reminder to come to school in full PS 87 gear! If you still need to snag some, we’ll be selling PS 87 clothing tomorrow (Tuesday) morning drop-off, inside the lobby of the school. All clothing will be more than 50% off! Grab t-shirts for $10 and sweatshirts for $20!
School Construction Update
Below is a short summary of the discussion at the Jan 21 meeting regarding the upcoming construction at PS 87. The work will include repairs to the roof and parapets (roof walls), as well as window and boiler replacement:
- In order to comply with Bloomberg’s plaNYC, the school needs to change out the boiler from oil to gas.
- PS 87 has been on a waiting list for windows for over 15 years. Many windows have cracks and/or holes. Some cannot open or close. Linda Rosenthal advocated for PS 87 to be moved up on the list after the school had been requesting replacement for years.
- The roof has had to be repaired multiple times over the past few years, so it was determined that it needed to be replaced as well. The roof insulation will also be updated for better heating and cooling efficiency.
- In the interest of efficiency, necessary work on the roof, windows, and boiler will be done at the same time.
- Construction will start once permits are obtained to erect the scaffolding. This can happen as early as March.
- The noisiest part of the work will occur in the beginning of the project, as crews put up the shed and scaffolding and do the demolition work.
- Work will begin after school hours. “Loud work” will stop at 10:30 p.m.
- Asbestos abatement will be done only when the school is completely empty and will follow strict federal regulations.
- Any asbestos work done in the school will be done under containment, with negative air pressure. When the work is finished, an Industrial Environmental Hygienist will issue a Letter of Reoccupancy saying that the school is a safe space for teachers and children to occupy. That letter will then be given to the school custodian and Monica.
- According to the SCA, the project is anticipated to end in August 2022.
If you have questions or concerns please reach out to Steven Tuozzolo STuozzolo@nycsca.org.
The PA and Administration will also be providing updates as more information becomes available.
Special Education Support Services
The next Special Education Support Services Group meeting will be held on Friday, January 31 at 8:30 a.m., at the Arthouse Hotel Cafe (77th St. between Amsterdam & Broadway). All parents are welcome at this monthly meeting to ask questions as well as share their experiences and resources. Our group’s goal is to foster an environment of compassion and openness. Snacks and coffee will be provided. We’re looking forward to meeting you! Please email us at email@example.com with any questions and please let us know if you can make it.
Family Fit Night – Friday Jan 31
Join us on Friday, January 31 from 6:30 to 8:30 pm for our annual free PS 87 Family Fit Night featuring parent-kid classes in Parkour, Musical Theater, Taekwondo, Basketball and Merengue Dance! This year we welcome back Central Park Taekwondo, and Spring Lake Day Camp, and are thrilled to debut Discovery Programs, Westside YMCA and PS 87 parent/dance teacher Beata Terrasi. We will also feature a special tasting from Chef Cathy of Wellness in the Schools, dinner from Chopt and Playa Betty’s, all followed by delicious, all natural and allergy-friendly cookies from Sweet Loren’s. The event is FREE and open to the entire community!! Please bring water bottles – we will have a water station for filling!
Feel free to contact us with any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org.
PS 87 Auction is March 28!
Here is the latest from the Auction Committee:
- Tickets are on sale! Time to book your sitters and we’ll see you on March 28 at Rodeph Sholom. Early bird tickets are $87!
- Principal for the Day Contest is LIVE. Get the chance for your kids to spend the day behind the scenes with Monica! Auction attendance is not mandatory to win, but remember you have to be in it to win it. Contest is $10 per ticket, $45 for 5 tickets and $90 for 10 tickets.
- We can’t wait to share with you the great trips, late night show tickets, gym memberships, camp experiences, and neighborhood gift certificates we’ve been lucky enough to receive so far…but we are still light on participation! Please get your donations in via the website or physical donation slip, available at Officer Ayala’s desk or online. Any questions, just email us at email@example.com. The deadline is March 5.
- All auction details can be found on our school website!
Are you a business owner and interested in sponsoring the auction? We have a lot of ways to participate!
Winter & Spring Break Camp Options
Many PS 87 families are on the lookout for fun kids camps and activities during the February and April breaks. Here are just some of the many options out there:
Take 2 Film Academy offers camps for children ages 5-15. Groups are broken up by age (5-7, 8-12, 13-15) with activities designed for each group. Camp is held at PS 340. Discount code for PS 87 families is NYICFFSP.
Baseball Center offers daily or weekly camps for all school breaks. Look under “Diamond Camps.” Discounts are given for 3 packs and 5 packs.
Super Soccer Stars offers camps for ages 3-10, grouped by age and offered at various locations on the UWS. Use the code 87camps20 for $20 off registration.
Launch Math and Science offers camps for children in grades K-7, grouped K-1, 2-4 and 5-7 with daily registration options.
MakersState offers a week long camp for kids ages 6-14.
NYBS offers a 2 day camp on 2/17 and 2/18 for ages 7-12 from 9:30-2:30. Lunch will be provided.
Dazzling Discoveries offers daily camp sign-ups for grades K-8. Their tween/teen program is specially designed to keep middle school students engaged.
And, something to do on Saturdays in the winter…NY Junior Tennis and Learning (NYJTL) is offering free drop-in classes for ages 9-14 every Saturday, from 12:00-2:00 p.m., at the Jackie Robinson Center at 145th and Bradhurst Avenue.
Black History Celebration Show
Please join us for our annual Black History Celebration Show- Friday, February 7 at 6:30 p.m. Everyone is welcome! Great for children of all ages! The evening will start in the auditorium with a one hour performance celebrating African heritage from around the world through dance, song and poetry. Performances will be given by PS 87 students, staff and guest artists.
If you would like to be involved or volunteer, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to celebrating with you all!
- PS 87 Culture & Community Committee
Box Tops for Education
PS 87 participates in Box Tops for Education. There are three ways that folks to easily support PS 87 through the Box Tops program:
1. The Old Fashioned Way – Clip the Box Tops logo (make sure to check the expiration date) from participating products and send in the Box Tops clippings to the Main Office in an envelope labeled “Box Tops.”
2. The Digital Way – Create an account on the Box Tops website (https://www.boxtops4education.com) and designate Public School 87 as your school from the pick-list. Scan and submit your receipt each time you buy something that has the Box Top label.
3. Double Dip! While the program undergoes a transition to digital, they will double count any Box Tops submitted using both options above. Click to find a list of participating brands.
Broadway Night – March 7
Be part of the Broadway Night magic this year! Our annual fundraiser features parents, PS 87 staff, and special guests in a one-night-only, always sold-out show for our PS 87 community. The family-friendly one hour show will be held on Saturday, March 7 at 6:00 p.m. Mark your calendar now!
The Broadway Night Committee is seeking parents who have Broadway or professional theater experience or have worked in backstage production and would like to participate in the show. We are also interested in guest artists from the Broadway community, so please let us know if you have any friends in the industry who would be interested in donating their time & talent to help raise money for our great public elementary school. Please contact Broadway-Night@ps87.info if interested. Thanks!
PS 87 Rock Night – May 1
Ready to rock? PS 87’s Rock Night will be back on May 1, featuring the usual stellar lineup of student vocal talent, backed up by PS87’s finest parent musicians! The Rock Night Committee is currently looking to hear from parents who would like to participate in this year’s event – in particular we are looking for back-up singers, musicians, sound engineers, stage hands and other volunteers. All instruments and skill levels are welcome!
Note that this year we have a particular need for parents with an interest in sound engineering (front of house/live sound). This is a crucial role to ensure the success of Rock Night, so if this sounds like you, please get in touch! You don’t need to be a professional sound engineer, as some training will be available!
Please email email@example.com for more information.
Girls on the Run Lottery
Girls on the Run (GotR) teaches life skills to 3rd-5th grade girls through dynamic, interactive lessons and running games. The goal of the program is to unleash confidence through accomplishment, while establishing a lifetime appreciation for health and fitness. At the end of the program, the girls will be physically and emotionally prepared to complete a celebratory 5k running event. This is the fifth year that GotR has partnered with PS 87, and we host two teams that each run two mornings per week. The 2020 Spring season of GotR will start the week of March 16. The lottery will be open Monday, February 3 at 8 a.m. and will close on Friday, February 14 at 5:00 p.m. Visit www.gotrnyc.org for more details and/or to register for the lottery.
PS 87 Calendar
* Check ps87.info for venue info *
|27-31||87Afterschool Open House Week, 4:15 p.m.|
|31||Special Education Support Services Group, 8:30 a.m.Family Fit Night, 6:30 – 8:30 p.m.|
|5||PA Board Meeting, 6:10 – 8 p.m.|
|7||Afterschool Committee Meeting, 8 a.m.General PA Meeting, 8:30 – 10 a.m.Black History Celebration, 6:30 p.m.|
|10||Spanish Class for Parents, 8 – 8:45 a.m.SLT, 4:15 – 5:30 p.m.|
|17-21||Mid-Winter Break, NO SCHOOL|
|24||Dual Language Committee Meeting, 8 – 8:30 a.m.|