PS 87 Auction is March 28!
PS 87 is going Back to ‘78 this year. Get your tickets, Teacher Treats, and Principal for a Day contest tickets online NOW at https://site.ps87.info/auction-2020/.
We will be selling tickets for the Live Auction and Silent Auction raffles in person at various school events over the coming weeks. Please keep an eye out for us in the school lobby to get your chance to win a Live item of choice for $100 (only 100 tickets available) or a Silent item of choice for $50 (only 50 tickets available).
We have some amazing items coming in:
From local shopping outings at Rag + Bone, Lilla P, Yummie, Shoshanna, to girls night out at Barre, yoga, happy hour & wine tastings, to ski passes to Sugarbush, sunshiney vacations in Mexico and Florida, and dinners around our great neighborhood, we’ve got you covered! We’ve even got a beautiful new TV in case you are looking for an upgrade!
And be on the lookout for our special camp sneak peek preview! We have tons of summer options available for bidding. You don’t want to miss out on these great opportunities for your kids!
Please keep your generous donations coming! No item is too big or too small! The deadline is March 5.
We’d like to thank our awesome Auction Committee for their work – we are looking forward to delivering a great party on March 28! Attached please find more auction details, and feel free to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions!
Black History Celebration Show
Please join us for our annual Black History Celebration Show, this Friday, February 7 at 6:30 p.m. Everyone is welcome! Great for children of all ages! The evening will start in the auditorium with a one hour performance celebrating African heritage from around the world through dance, song and poetry. Performances will be given by PS 87 students, staff and guest artists. If you would like to be involved or volunteer, please contact email@example.com. We look forward to celebrating with you all!
- PS 87 Culture & Community Committee
PS 87 Calendar
* Check ps87.info for venue info *
|5||PA Board Meeting, 6:10 – 8 p.m.|
|7||Afterschool Committee Meeting, 8 a.m.General PA Meeting, 8:30 – 10 a.m.Black History Celebration, 6:30 p.m.|
|10||Spanish Class for Parents, 8 – 8:45 a.m.SLT, 4:15 – 5:30 p.m.|
|11||District 3 Resource Fair, 7 – 8:30 p.m.|
|17-21||Mid-Winter Break, NO SCHOOL|
|24||Dual Language Committee Meeting, 8 – 8:30 a.m.|
Girls on the Run Lottery
Girls on the Run (GotR) teaches life skills to 3rd-5th grade girls through dynamic, interactive lessons and running games. The goal of the program is to unleash confidence through accomplishment, while establishing a lifetime appreciation for health and fitness. At the end of the program, the girls will be physically and emotionally prepared to complete a celebratory 5k running event. This is the fifth year that GotR has partnered with PS 87, and we host two teams that each run two mornings per week. The 2020 Spring season of GotR will start the week of March 16. The lottery will be open Monday, February 3 at 8 a.m. and will close on Friday, February 14 at 5:00 p.m. Visit www.gotrnyc.org for more details and/or to register for the lottery.
District 3 Resource Fair
The Resource Fair for teens and pre-teens will be held on Tuesday, February 11, from 7 – 8:30 p.m. Come to one place to meet representatives from community agencies and mental health organizations, and learn about potential volunteer opportunities and school support at our first ever student resource fair. There will be many items raffled off! This fair is geared toward the changing lives of 8-18 year old students, to provide them with both support and opportunities. Hosted by Booker T Washington Middle School 103 West 107th Street. Free to all families!
School Construction Update
Below are details regarding the upcoming construction at PS 87. The work will include repairs to the roof and parapets (roof walls), as well as window and boiler replacement.
- In order to comply with Bloomberg’s plaNYC, the school needs to change out the boiler from oil to gas.
- PS 87 has been on a waiting list for windows for over 15 years. Many windows have cracks and/or holes. Some cannot open or close. Linda Rosenthal advocated for PS 87 to be moved up on the list after the school had been requesting replacement for years.
- The roof has had to be repaired multiple times over the past few years, so it was determined that it needed to be replaced as well. The roof insulation will also be updated for better heating and cooling efficiency.
- In the interest of efficiency, necessary work on the roof, windows, and boiler will be done at the same time.
- Construction will start once permits are obtained to erect the scaffolding. This can happen as early as March.
- The noisiest part of the work will occur in the beginning of the project, as crews put up the shed and scaffolding and do the demolition work.
- Work will begin after school hours. “Loud work” will stop at 10:30 p.m.
- Asbestos abatement will be done only when the school is completely empty and will follow strict federal regulations.
- Any asbestos work done in the school will be done under containment, with negative air pressure. When the work is finished, an Industrial Environmental Hygienist will issue a Letter of Reoccupancy saying that the school is a safe space for teachers and children to occupy. That letter will then be given to the school custodian and Monica.
- According to the SCA, the project is anticipated to end in August 2022.
If you have questions or concerns please reach out to Steven Tuozzolo STuozzolo@nycsca.org.
The PA and Administration will also be providing updates as more information becomes available.
Broadway Night – March 7
Be part of the Broadway Night magic this year! Our annual fundraiser features parents, PS 87 staff, and special guests in a one-night-only, always sold-out show for our PS 87 community. The family-friendly one hour show will be held on Saturday, March 7 at 6:00 p.m. Mark your calendar now!
The Broadway Night Committee is seeking parents who have Broadway or professional theater experience or have worked in backstage production and would like to participate in the show. We are also interested in guest artists from the Broadway community, so please let us know if you have any friends in the industry who would be interested in donating their time & talent to help raise money for our great public elementary school. Please contact Broadway-Night@ps87.info if interested. Thanks!
Box Tops for Education
PS 87 participates in Box Tops for Education. There are three ways that folks can easily support PS 87 through the Box Tops program:
1. The Old Fashioned Way – Clip the Box Tops logo (make sure to check the expiration date) from participating products and send in the Box Tops clippings to the Main Office in an envelope labeled “Box Tops.”
2. The Digital Way – Create an account on the Box Tops website (https://www.boxtops4education.com) and designate Public School 87 as your school from the pick-list. Scan and submit your receipt each time you buy something that has the Box Top label.
3. Double Dip! While the program undergoes a transition to digital, they will double count any Box Tops submitted using both options above. Click to find a list of participating brands.
PS 87 Rock Night – May 1
Ready to rock? PS 87’s Rock Night will be back on May 1, featuring the usual stellar lineup of student vocal talent, backed up by PS87’s finest parent musicians! The Rock Night Committee is currently looking to hear from parents who would like to participate in this year’s event – in particular we are looking for back-up singers, musicians, sound engineers, stage hands and other volunteers. All instruments and skill levels are welcome!
Note that this year we have a particular need for parents with an interest in sound engineering (front of house/live sound). This is a crucial role to ensure the success of Rock Night, so if this sounds like you, please get in touch! You don’t need to be a professional sound engineer, as some training will be available!
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.