PS 87 Calendar
See here for details and location/Zoom information.
|27||General PA Meeting 7 – 8 p.m.Join Zoom Meetinghttps://us06web.zoom.us/j/89797231597?pwd=WldTb0dHa3dvVXJzNDMrQ2lROHZXUT09|
Meeting ID: 897 9723 1597Passcode: 8Z4YG2
|2||Election Day – Remote School Day|
|4||Parent Teacher Conferences – Half Day of School/ Remote Conferences|
|10||General PA Meeting 7-8 p.m.|
|11||Veterans Day – No School|
|25-26||Thanksgiving Break – No School|
November 2 (Election Day) is a Remote School Day
Please be sure that your kids have access to Google Classroom for November 2. If you have any technical questions, remember that there is a parent run help desk that you can contact if you have any questions – email@example.com
PS 87’s Biggest Night Needs Two Chairpeople!
The PS87 auction is one of the biggest nights of the year for our school. It is always a fun-filled night during which we raise a large portion of our annual budget. We are still in need of an auction chair/auction chairs! We cannot have an auction without one or two auction chairs. So if you are reading this and thinking, “maybe I’d do it if I had a partner or team,” email us! If you are interested in filling this position, email us! If you simply want to hear more, email us! A team of people would be great! Send all inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Harvest Fest Thank You
It was inspiring to see us all come together to make Harvest Fest a special event for our community this past Saturday. From the 160 volunteers who planned activities, set up tents, sold tickets, to the dozens of parents who baked delicious treats, to the hundreds of families who participated, wore costumes, danced to the music or went through our Haunted Fun House. It just goes to show that our creative, caring and dedicated community also knows how to party!
Speaking of the Haunted Fun House, since no parents were allowed, check out this short video to see what it was like inside!
And, congratulations to 5th Grader Max Shaps who correctly guessed that there were 113 pieces of candy in the Candy Monster! Don’t eat all your winnings at once!
Make Sure You Get Your ZZZZs
When it comes to your overall wellness, sleep plays a huge role. How can you ensure that you’re getting the best sleep possible? Check out our tips:
-Limit your screen time
-Avoid exercise 3-4 hours before bed
-Take a daytime power nap, but only 20-30 minutes
-Relax with a warm bath and a good book
For more information contact email@example.com
PS 87 Wellness Officer
Getting in Touch With the PA Board
Here’s a description and how to get in touch with the Parents Association board members at PS 87. We would love to hear from you, so feel free to reach out!
PS 87 PA Executive Board Members
- President: Rita Kakati-Shah (firstname.lastname@example.org). The President is essentially the CEO of the Board. The President maintains the Executive Board, and also encourages community members to become involved in school activities. Reach out to the President for anything! Whether it is a concern, feedback, suggestion, or just to say hello!
- VP of Administration: Marissa Curry (email@example.com). The VP of Admin is responsible for the Audit Committee and maintaining the Bylaws. The VP of Admin works closely with the Treasurers and the rest of the Board.
- VP of Community Affairs: Jill Rackmill (firstname.lastname@example.org). The VP of Community Affairs is responsible for Community Affairs and the Middle School Committee. Reach out for any specific questions on district or local rules.
- VP of Enrichment and Programming: Megan Hoffman (email@example.com). Feel free to reach out to the VP of Enrichment/Programming for any questions around enrichment (including chess), dual language, support for Special Ed, Parents as Reading Partners, Library Committee, art programming, science, and the Garden Committee. This VP also works closely with admin and the Student Leadership Team (SLT).
- VP of Communications: Angie Arlia / Jami DeAngelis, and Webmaster Boris Markovich (firstname.lastname@example.org). The VPs of Communications oversee our website, community emails, school directory and social media groups.
- VP of School Events and Membership: Eliz Battin / Marguerite Boonzaier (email@example.com). Our great community events are run by this committee. Reach out for any questions, comments or suggestions on events, culture and community, fundraising and wellness.
- Secretaries (Recording and Corresponding): Sarah Emley / Swati Vauthrin (firstname.lastname@example.org). The Recording Secretary keeps the minutes of the Exec Board and General PA meetings. The Corresponding Secretary reviews, maintains and responds to all PA related correspondence, unless specifically assigned to another Board Member.
- Co-Treasurers: Kim Hausmann / Peter Battin, and Assistant Treasurer: Lora Martinez (email@example.com). The Treasurers (and Assistant Treasurer) are responsible for all financial affairs and funds of the PA, as well as maintaining updated income and expenditure records. They present financial reports at PA meetings.
- Fundraising Officer: Sarah Hansen (firstname.lastname@example.org). The Fundraising Officer is responsible for all fundraising efforts, including corporate sponsorships.
- Afterschool Officer: Meredith Thompson (email@example.com). The Afterschool Officer is responsible for overseeing the budget and finances of the PS 87 Afterschool Program. They liaise with the President, Treasurer of the Afterschool Board, as well as the Executive Director, as needed.
- Auction Officer: TBD (firstname.lastname@example.org). The Auction Officer is responsible for all auction efforts. We are currently looking to fill this spot, so please reach out if you are interested!
- Wellness Officer: Lauren Sachs (email@example.com). The Wellness Officer is responsible for all wellness efforts. Reach out if you have any ideas or suggestions!
- Family Giving Officer: Shira Hudson / Ross Goldstein (firstname.lastname@example.org). The Family Giving Officers are responsible for overseeing the PS 87 Annual Giving Pledge Drive, and coordinating solicitation and outreach with various committees and the community.
- Kindergarten Rep: Jennifer Lee (email@example.com). The K-Rep advises on issues related to Kindergarten families at PS 87.
- 5th Grade / Middle School Rep: Anni Kluger (firstname.lastname@example.org). The 5th Grade / Middle School Rep advises on issues related to 5th grade families at PS 87 and plans grade-specific events such as 5th grade graduation.
And, if you are not sure exactly to whom to reach out, or you want to reach the board overall, feel free to email email@example.com.
DEI Task Force
The DEI (Diversity, Equity, Inclusion) Task Force is a voluntary group of parents, teachers, administrators, support staff, and Afterschool staff, aiming to represent the many backgrounds present within our vibrant PS 87 school community. Our role is to keep a pulse on any identified pain points within our community, and act as a bridge to provide, as best as possible, solutions or guidance to minimize barriers, and to create an atmosphere where everyone feels included, like they belong, and are valued.
We are excited to have our second meeting on October 27. We plan on further breaking down the themes and comments expressed by our community in the recent survey in order to come up with suggestions to families’ feel welcomed and valued at events, with communications, and current programming.
We have been receiving feedback since our last update with compliments, comments and suggestions for us to consider at our next meeting. Some of these include a recent NYT article on DOE credits for Kindergartners experiencing financial hardship, consideration of resources on tackling anxiety, and clarifications around our purpose. We thank you again for that, and want to encourage you to continue to reach out. Our email address is: DEITaskForce@ps87.info
Your PS 87 DEI Task Force
Charleston Gift Wrap Fundraiser- Get Some Early Holiday Shopping Done!
There is still plenty of time to shop the Charleston Gift Wrap fundraiser – it runs until November 15. There are so many great gifts to buy— socks with your pet’s face, photo gifts for grandparents, eco-friendly kitchen solutions, and more. Please share this fundraiser with family and friends! There are two ways to shop:
1) To register to earn rewards, go to www.charlestonwrap.com and click “Register Participant.” Our organization ID is 20759. From there, you can register yourself, shop and email friends and family for rewards.
2) To simply shop and support PS 87, click on this link and shop away! https://registercw.com/D6hQNeWS
Thank you for supporting PS 87!
Reminder – Mask Up in the Morning!
All adults and children should be wearing masks on the drop off line each morning. Thanks for your cooperation!
DOE/Community/Parent Advocacy Updates
Click here to read Chancellor Porter’s 9/20 letter about changes to the DOE testing and quarantine policies.
The NYC Department of Education continues to update the link below. Keep an eye on it for the latest information from the Department of Education.
District 3 website with updates from Superintendent Christine Loughlin:
If you have any suggestions, ideas or questions about community affairs/parent advocacy, please reach out to Jill Rackmill,, your PA Community Affairs Chair, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We will inform you of meetings and events that could be helpful to our school community. Please check out our Parent Advocacy resources page on the PS 87 website here.
NYC COVID-19 Updates
|Backpack News is published during the school year by the Parents Association of PS 87. E-mail articles or updates to Backpacknews87@gmail.com. For details on how to sponsor Backpack News, go to the Fundraising bar at site.ps87.info. The PS 87 PA does not endorse any of the services represented by paid sponsorships. Editors: Angie Arlia, Beth Goldstein, Madhuri Iyer, Greta Karris|